Most consumers are unaware of the exposure to toxic molds infested in their homes, office or schools. But most of the time, these microorganisms are difficult to detect because their development is not visible macroscopically and their detection requires a specific mycological analysis.
Unfortunately, some types of mold can cause damage to humans and animals, and their toxicity is not limited to their multiplication, indeed they are also toxic indirectly through the mycotoxins they produce.
Unfortunately, often underestimated by home owners, the harm caused by these mycotoxins to the human body is diverse and can range from acute intoxication to chronic fatigue. It can also cause allergic reactions or an increased predisposition to certain cancers.
So, what are these mycotoxins? What are their types and how do they damage our health? How can we detect them? And above all, how can we protect ourselves from them?
Types of Mycotoxins
Mycotoxins are produced by just over 360 species of mold, mostly belonging to the type of Aspergillus Flavus, Fusarium and Penicillium. Mycotoxin product happens fast and it does not take long to spread. They have a low molecular weight and are most often thermo-stable in non-aqueous medium, and therefore difficult to degrade. In most cases, they can survive in food even after the elimination of mold.
There are several hundred types of mycotoxins, but the most harmful ones with toxic effects on our health are Aflatoxins, Ochratoxin A, Patulin, Fumonisins, Zearalenone and Nivalenol. They appear in the food chain because of the contamination of crops by molds, these toxins can also contaminate the human being by air. Even if they are mostly known for long term harmful effects, such as immune deficiency or cancer, mycotoxins can also expose to immediate complications such as acute intoxication.
|Types of Mycotoxins||Learn about the different types of mycotoxins||What Are Mycotoxins?|
|A New Marker In Mycotoxin Tests||Learn about the new ZEA marker in our EMMA and urine mycotoxin tests||ZEA: A New Marker In Tests|
|Testing For Mycotoxins||Learn more about how you can get tested and start treatment||How Do I Get Tested For Mycotoxins|
Where are Mycotoxins Found?
According to the World Health Organization, mycotoxins are toxic compounds naturally produced by certain types of molds (fungi). They grow on either on the floor or walls in a humid and confined environment or on some foods. Mold growth can occur before or after harvest, during storage, on or in the food itself, often in a hot, humid and moist environment.
Testing and Detection
Exposure to mycotoxins is a serious issue that many people do not realize is impact their health until it is too late!
If you find mold growth or suspect you may have mycotoxins in your body it is important to get tested and begin treatment as soon as possible.
Mycotoxin poisoning and illness looks different in everyone and looks similar to other conditions like chronic fatigue syndrome.