Mold IgE and IgG
Sick Building Syndrome (SBS) was first coined by the Center for Disease Control in 1982. Based on significant research, the following conditions were deemed by the CDC to be attributable to the presence of mold in buildings:
- Itchy eyes
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Runny nose
Conditions acknowledged by the CDC to be caused by SBS
- Allergic Rhinitis
- Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis
- Asthma exacerbation.
RealTime Lab uses a modified RAST Test to measure circulating IgE and IgG antibodies and the sensitization to a wide variety of commonly encountered molds, including: Penicillium, Cladosporium, Aspergillus fumigatus, Candida, Alternia, Helminthosporium, Rhizopus, Pullaria, Phoma, Rhodotorula, Epicoccum, Chatonium. A radioallergosorbent test (RAST) is a blood test used to determine the substances a subject is allergic to. This is different from a skin allergy test, which determines allergy by the reaction of a person’s skin to different substances. There are a number of advantages of a RAST test vs. conventional skin testing, including:
- A simple blood draw minimizes patient discomfort and significantly reduces both staff and patient time spent on allergy testing.
- Unlike skin tests, a RAST test is not dependent on skin conditions and can be used on any patient.
- Patients can continue allergy medication use. Skin testing mandates the patient be off many medications for two weeks prior to testing.
- Not subject to the skin test technique used, or the reading and interpretation of skin reactions by the person performing the test.
- A cost-effective screen performed along with a Total IgE can often rule out allergy as the cause of patient symptoms prompting the Physician to pursue other diagnoses.
- Positive RAST results are accurately quantified by allowing the patient to start immunotherapy at an optimal dose for the level of the patient’s sensitivity to each allergen. Reduces potential for adverse reactions.
- Results in cost savings.
- Eliminates treating allergy symptoms in negative patients.
- Effective Allergy treatment lowers emergency room visits.
- Accurate diagnoses allow patients to avoid some allergic triggers.
- Reduces the time span of immunotherapy before achieving results.
P5114 Mold Panel IgE
P5115 Mold Panel IgG